Thursday, March 18, 2010

Table Talk

I feel that dinner time is SUCH an important time for the family to gather and talk about the days events. Sometimes it can be stressful though (especially for me, the mom) or I feel that not much "family bonding" is going on...

So when I read about Alison's Family Dinner Questions at "How Does She?" I knew I had to try it... And it was a HIT! I was surprised how much the kids enjoyed it and ask to do it at every meal! So much fun!

Here's what I did:

1. I found an old peanut butter jar, washed it out and took off the label.

2. I then measured it and designed some labels with my digital scrapbooking software. You could do it with scrapbook paper if you don't digital scrapbook... I picked a blue color scheme because I knew that the lid to my jar was blue... Then you cut them out!

Photobucket

3. I went to How Does She? and printed all three sets of the family dinner questions out, cut them apart, folded them and put them in the jar.

Photobucket

4. I just took some two-sided scrapbook tape and attached my labels to the jar... Beautiful!

Photobucket

What we do:
At dinner (we usually do it 3 - 4 times a week), each person take a turn picking a question. We then go around that table and everyone answers the question... Then the next person picks a question... and we continue until everyone has picked a question.

The kids have loved it and we have learned some great facts from the "How Does She?" questions... such as how to keep from crying while chopping onions and how far a kangeroo can jump! Or what neighbors the kids think are "scary"... And the questions have sometimes evolve to something else... like everyone showing us the dance they do when no one else is looking! lol

SO much fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea. Right now we don't have to worry too much, as everyone is talking about their day and what is going on. But I think over the summer when the older kids are gone, it will be a great way to get the little ones talking and sharing. Thanks for posting this. And it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails